Another Freshman First

Freshmen Play Varsity for the First Time

Reagan Dolan

Freshman Jayden Peyton works to pin an Anamosa wrestler at the district tournament. Peyton placed second in the tournament and qualified for state.

Emily Klostermann, Contents Editor

Most freshmen are nervous about upperclassmen or about getting lost, but for some freshmen their nerves go beyond the classroom.

Their nerves extend to the field, court, or mat when they step into their first varsity competition.

Freshman Ella Koloc was pulled up in softball, volleyball, and basketball. Koloc received First team All-WaMaC honors in both volleyball and softball, and she helped the volleyball team make it to state.

“Starting varsity was nerve-racking and very exciting,” Koloc said. “I just had to tell myself to do what I know best and to not worry about being nervous. Then everything took care of itself.”

Freshman Jadyn Peyton started varsity for the first time against Waverly and has made a big impact on the wrestling team. Peyton placed fourth at the Individual State Wrestling Tournament and helped the team to the 2A State Dual Championship.

“I kind of knew going into the season that I had a chance of starting varsity,” Peyton said. “I was nervous my first match, but then I established a routine. Now I am not as nervous.”

After the first cross country meet, freshman Lucy Loecke ran her first varsity meet. Loecke earned her spot by making the top five times on the team.

“I just didn’t think about it,” Loecke said. “I just kept running. The nerves were still there before every meet.” Loecke finished the season with a personal record of 23:02.

In the basketball game against Maquoketa, Coach Matt Uthoff called 5-foot-6-inch freshman Blake DeMoss from the bench. DeMoss drained a three-pointer during a crucial part of the game.

“I was nervous because I didn’t play that much before that,” DeMoss said. “When I made the three-pointer, it was so exciting because it was a big game against a top-ranked team, and the crowd was going crazy.”

Volleyball coach Brett Mather explained that playing freshmen is a no-brainer.

“It is pretty special when a freshman is mature enough to handle all situations they encounter,” Mather said. “I never consider age as a factor. I play the person who gives us the best opportunity for success.”