Recent Posts
  • The Perfect Ending to Four State TitlesThe Perfect Ending to Four State Titles
    Winning a state dual title is impressive by any means, but that wasn’t enough for top-ranked West Delaware. With the senior class of 2022 leading this year’s team to their fourth straight victory, their win this season came with hardships, lessons, and teamwork. Heading into the 2021-2022 wrestling season, the Hawks’ starting lineup consisted of...
Check out Our Instagram!
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Kartman Breaks School Record

Freshman Brynn Kartman shattered the high school girls’ cross country record and became the first girl runner in school history to run a 5k race in under 21 minutes.

On Sept. 19, the cross country teams competed at Vinton-Shellsburg, where many runners made considerable improvements. Most notably, however, was Brynn Kartman’s third-place finish in the girls’ varsity race. 

Freshman Brynn Kartman races around the course at the Vinton-Shellsburg meet on Tuesday, Sept. 19. (Audrey Jolley)

“I asked myself who I thought was tougher: me or a bunch of other random girls,” Kartman said. “It was a rhetorical question because I already knew the answer.” 

Kartman’s determination to beat her competitors helped propel her over the finish line with a time of 20:36, shattering the program’s record of 21:11, which had stood for three years. 

“I’ve been trying to tell her all season that she could,” girls’ coach Jason Guyer said. “It would not surprise me if by the end of the season she’s running fast enough to catch a varsity boy’s spot.” 

Kartman is hoping that by setting the school record she can encourage her teammates and future runners to push themselves. “I’m resetting the standard,” Kartman said.

View Comments (1)