Learning Outside the Classroom

Students+conquer+at+home+learning+with+the+use+of+technology.+

Keara Emerson

Students conquer at home learning with the use of technology.

Keara Emerson, Staff

Thirty students will participate in online learning through Edgenuity second semester while 18 students chose online learning first semester. 

Online learning provides an option to students that have COVID-related concerns.

Edgenuity is the online learning platform used at the high school. 

Registration for full online classes was due on Dec. 14. Online classes begin Jan. 14 and will go until the end of the 20-21 school year. 

According to Matt O’Loughlin, online learning coordinator,  the effectiveness of online learning depends on the individual student. 

“Students need to be self-motivated and have a desire to be self-directed learners,” O’Loughlin said. “They need to spend four to five hours a day on their Edgenuity classes to stay on track with their progress.”

Brooke Belden, junior, switched to online schooling for second semester. “I switched over because for me it will be a lot easier to go at my own pace,” Belden said. “I don’t have to worry about what pace other people are at and I can work how fast or slow I want.” 

Kamira Zehr, sophomore, also switched over to online schooling in second semester too. “I switched to online because we aren’t going to be socially distanced that much anymore, and I don’t want to take the chance of giving anything to my parents.”