The Annual Bob Murphy Invitational—COVID Edition

Melanie Loughren

Attempting to lock up with his opponent, senior Cael Meyer reaches at Western Dubuque wrestler.

Lexi Harbach, Staff

While wrestling through COVID-19 guidelines and losing seven seniors last season, the 2020 varsity Hawks pulled through for another Bob Murphy win last weekend. 

The varsity team beat out eight other teams with 284.5 team points and nine first-place titles.

Iowa’s COVID-19 guidelines allowed only two family members per athlete at games and tournaments. 

“Not having the crowd dims the atmosphere, and I think we all missed that,” senior Reily Dolan said. “I miss the crowd size and wish we could pack the gym again for duals.” 

Although Dolan missed the gym full of fans, it didn’t affect how he wrestled last weekend. Dolan took home his first-ever varsity title at his final Bob Murphy Invitational.

Logan Peyton, a sophomore and a two-time varsity starter, grew up with wrestling in his household. 

“Wrestling has impacted my life in so many ways,” Peyton said. “COVID-19 definitely affected the season, but I’m thankful that we are able to wrestle every day and get the chance to compete.” 

Peyton placed second at the Bob Murphy Invitational this year. “I think I wrestled to the best of my ability,” Peyton said. “There are some things I need to work on, but I feel like I was the best version of myself.”

Varsity is a huge deal for any athlete, especially freshman Brayden Maury. Maury started his season strong by taking the first place title at the Bob Murphy Invitational.

“I’m still adjusting to the varsity traditions and the high school skill-level,” Maury said. “Since it was the first tournament of the season, I feel like I wrestled pretty well.”

The next challenge these Hawks will face is at the home dual this Thursday at 6 p.m. against the Solon Knights.

Bob Murphy Invitational Participating Teams — 1. West Delaware 284.5;  2. Western Dubuque 188; 3. Decorah 147; 4. DeWitt Central 142; 5. West Delaware JV 120; 6. Benton Community 93; 7. Dike-New Hartford 56.5; 8. Maquoketa Valley 51.