Speech Parent’s Night

Kaleah Carter

Speech students Jacob Georgen (12), Nicholas Stocks (11), Victoria Harris (12), Leah Wegmann (12), and Jadyn Werner (11) tell the story of Madalyn Linsenmeir’s battle with drug addiction.

Kaleah Carter, Social Media Director

From pickle jars to romance, diseases to bed-time stories, and cruise ships to game shows, this year’s large group speech events cover a wide variety of topics.

On Jan. 9, speech students performed 30 different events for friends and family on Parents Night.

“I believe that Parents Night is very beneficial,” speech captain Anna Werner (11) said. “It helps students get their first performance jitters out, and they can gain some confidence with the feedback they receive so they’re ready for WaMaC.”

Over a hundred speech students gathered in the music wing with plenty of emotions about their first performance of the year.

“I was feeling nervous and excited,” speech captain Gracie Weeks (12) said. “First performances are always nerve-wracking, but I was ready to finally show everyone what I’ve been working on for months.”

Another student was terrified about her upcoming performance.

“I thought our performance wasn’t going to go the greatest and was nervous someone was going to forget their lines,” Sheeley McMahon (11) said. “Overall, I think it ended up better than I was expecting.”

A first-year speech student, Zach Stratton (12), decided to go out for speech to occupy his time and bring him out of his comfort zone.

“For my first performance, I wasn’t nervous at all, until I got on stage for choral,” Stratton said. “It went all right, but there’s still room for improvement.”