Highway Dance and Game Night Recap

Tehya Demmer

Euchre tournament winners, freshmen Trevor Soppe and Phillip Ries show off their trophies.

Tehya Demmer, Staff

On March 30, the FFA hosted the Highway Dance and Game Night.

Students from Maquoketa Valley, Starmont and Beckman Catholic participated in games, dancing and card tournaments.

During the dance, students competed in a cake walk. Students danced around and stopped on a color when DJ Big Daddy paused the music and picked a random color. The winners received an Aunt Emmy’s cupcake.

Senior Isabel Barron said, “My favorite part was dancing with my friends to songs that I love.”

Four teams competed in the Euchre tournament.

“The Euchre tournament was very fun,” freshman Phillip Ries said. “Trevor Soppe and I got first place.”

Freshman Olivia Hilby enjoyed playing other card games and Twister with students from area schools. “The longer we played the games, the more people came over to join,” Hilby said. “The games became more competitive, and I was able to meet more people.”

Sophomore Zach Grammer played the ring toss game and went home with 24 two-liters of pop.

FFA members opened the concession stand to sell snacks and cotton candy. Blake Cook, sophomore, ran the cotton candy machine.

“Towards the end of the night, we started mixing the flavors, but blue raspberry was better plain than mixed,” Cook said.

Ag advisor Tammy Schnieders hopes to make some changes to improve next year’s turnout.

“Students who attended were definitely having a lot of fun, especially at the ring toss game,” Schnieders said.