Hunter Slaymaker Competes in Special Olympics

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brothers Noah and Hunter Slaymaker compete in the NE Iowa Basketball Skills Competition on Feb. 2.

Callison Lang

Callison Lang

Callison Lang

Claire Demmer, Staff

Junior Hunter Slaymaker has participated in many Special Olympic activities this year.

On Feb. 2, Slaymaker participated in the NE Iowa Basketball Skills Competition and placed first in his division. Slaymaker advanced to the Mid-Winter Games at University of Northern Iowa on March 16. 

It can be a challenge with some of the things because I was never a sports person,” Slaymaker said. “I like being challenged though.”

It can be a challenge with some of the things because I was never a sports person. I like being challenged though.”

— Hunter Slaymaker

Slaymaker will participate in the Spring Games March 3. Slaymaker will compete in a running event and softball throwing event to qualify him for the Summer Games in late May.

“Hunter is a very kind young man, full of stories, and has truly grown as an individual and member of our team,” Special Olympics coach Callison Lang said. “It is great to see him build relationships and open up to other students he meets at each competition, as well as in our classroom.”

About the Writer
Claire Demmer, Staff

I am Claire Demmer and I am a junior. I am involved in softball and volleyball. You can find me usually laughing at my own jokes and playing with my cats.