Young Hawks Strive for Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Young Hawks Strive for Success

Center Derek Krogmann looks for a shot against Marion's defense. The Hawks defeated Marion, 70-62.

Illiana Rohlf-McGraw

Illiana Rohlf-McGraw

Illiana Rohlf-McGraw

Victoria Harris, Staff

Starting this season off with a 7-1 record, the boys’ basketball team is currently ranked fourth in Class 3A, according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette’s boys’ prep basketball poll.

This year’s team is young, so the boys have had to “grow up fast and had to get lots of experience,” said Kyle Kelley (10). “We hope to win as many games as possible.”

“Our main goal is to approach each practice as an opportunity to get better,” coach Matt Uthoff said.

James Nachtman
During the second game of the season, shooting guard Kyle Kelley takes a shot against the Independence defense. The Hawks won, 53-41, over Independence.

The boys opened the season with a 48-46 win over Western Dubuque at home. The Hawks also beat Independence, 53-41; Benton Community, 77-66; Center Point-Urbana, 36-29; Beckman, 55-42; and South Tama, 66-32.    

Following the winning streak, the Hawks lost a tough battle against Maquoketa, 35-40.

Recently, on Dec. 21, the Hawks defeated Marion, 70-62, at home.

Coach Uthoff feels one of the team’s challenges is to keep their spacing and offensive flow. “The guys know with Derek (Krogmann) commanding so much attention, they need to be active, move, screen, and ultimately be ready to knock down the open shot,” Uthoff said.

The team has high goals for the season. “We hope to win the WaMaC title and make it back to state,” Krogmann (12) said.

So far Krogmann leads the team in points, averaging 21.1 points per game. Kelley comes in second, averaging 14.6 points per game.  

Tomorrow night, the Hawks take on Solon at home.

About the Contributors
Victoria Harris, Staff

I am Victoria Harris, and I am a junior.  I am involved in speech and track. I am the boys’ basketball manager and on the crew for the musical. I love...

Illiana Rohlf-McGraw, Staff

My name is Illiana Rohlf-McGraw, and I am a sophomore. I'm only involved in cheerleading, but I also work at Dairy Queen. Something interesting about me...

James Nachtman, Staff

My name is James Nachtman, and I am a sophomore. I am involved with robotics and the music department. I love to ride my bike, sing, make corny puns, build...