Great Start To The New Season

Helen Temeyer

Senior Ian Tibbott approaches the lane to throw the ball.

Emma Merkes, Staff

The West Delaware Bowling teams began their season with a 3-0 record for the girls and a 2-1 record for the boys.

The girls beat Monticello, 2,405-2,005, Independence, 2,411-2,268, and Vinton-Shellsburg, 2,147-2,062.

The boys won against Monticello, 2,942-2,542, and Independence, 3,245-2,857, but were defeated by Vinton-Shellsburg, 2,765-2,856.

Captain Hannah Axline believes the season has been going well so far.

“We’re still making a lot of improvements, but we are just getting started!” Axline said.

This month both teams took part in the annual Prairie Baker Tournament hosted at Lancer Lanes in Cedar Rapids. Competing against some 3A schools, the girls placed tenth out of 18 teams, and the boys placed sixth out of 18 teams.

Both teams share common goals.

“Our goal is for all our team to become better bowlers,” boys’ coach Bob Morris said. “But we first encourage the team to be good students; hard working, well-rounded representatives of West Delaware; and strong teammates.”

Girls’ coach Ken Boesenberg and Morris feel the two teams continue to make progress.

“We want to keep working hard and getting better as we prepare for the state qualifying meet in February,” Boesenberg said.

Co-Captain Ian Tibbott says everyone is working hard in the areas they need to improve in.

“The motivation to try to win a third state championship (in a row) drives us to be better and better,” Tibbott said.