Trip of a Lifetime

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trip of a Lifetime

Teammates Nathan Goransan and Blake Smith work together and push each other at the district meet.

Danielle Krogmann

Danielle Krogmann

Danielle Krogmann

Kaleah Carter, Staff

Junior Nathan Goransan and sophomore Blake Smith were selected to run cross country for Down Under Sports in Australia in June of 2019. The boys will represent the United States during this ten-day trip, in which they will travel and compete in two races hoping to bring home the Down Under title.

“We were called to the office and received an envelope,” Goransan said. “Inside was an invitation for the races based on our season times.”

Overall, over 5,000 runners will compete with Goransan and Smith, who are among the 200 selected from the United States.

“When I received the news, I didn’t know what to expect,” Smith said. “I was surprised at first, and I’m excited for the opportunity.”

The boys have already started training and were featured on KMCH Nov. 28 to talk about the trip.

The two held a bake sale and a can drive to help fundraise, and more fundraisers will be held to help the boys meet their $10,000 goal.

Additionally, a fundraiser will take place on Dec. 10 at the Pizza Ranch from 5-7:30 p.m., and the Greeley Commercial Club will host a potato bar with a 50/50 raffle on Feb. 9.

Both runners have accounts at Dupaco under their names for any other donations.

Time until they leave:

161Days 13Hours 00Minutes 57Seconds
About the Contributors
Kaleah Carter, Staff

I am Kaleah Carter, and I am a junior. I’m involved in cross country, speech, student council, musical, and show choir. I enjoy eating at the deli, wearing...

Danielle Krogmann, Staff

My name is Danielle Krogmann, and I am a junior. I am involved in basketball. I live on a farm and raise puppies with my family. I enjoy playing with my...