Football Honors Police Department

These seven police officers were the honorary captains at the football game, Sept. 14.

Victoria Harris, Staff

As a tribute to 9/11, the varsity football team recognized the Manchester Police Department as their honorary captains during the game against Xavier High School on Sept. 14.

As players Nick Casey, Caleb Kehrli, Mitchell Mangold, and Ben Ridenour walked toward the middle of the field with seven police officers, announcer Mike Cole read these words of Coach Doug Winkowitsch to recognize the police department: “Thank you for risking your life for ours. Thank you also to (your) families for allowing them to do their difficult job.”

After shaking hands with the opposing team, the four players along with Chief Jim Hauschild stood and waited for the coin flip. “It was an honor walking out with them because they sacrifice a lot for this community,” senior running back Caleb Kehrli said.

When senior quarterback Nick Casey heard members of the police department were the game’s honorary captains, he was excited. “I knew police officers get more criticism than respect so honoring them at a football game was something they deserved,” Casey said.

Junior Sydney Morris was confused to see the police officers at the football game. “Then when I heard they were the honorary captains, I thought it was so cool that our school recognized them in front of our community,” Morris said.

As they walked on and off the field, players, coaches, and fans all clapped to thank the police department. “Seeing our fans and the opposing fans standing to honor them sent chills down my spine,” Coach Corey Coates said. “(It) made me feel proud for what they do for our community and school.”