World Food Prize Iowa Youth Institute

Taylor Hammer (9) and Nolan Monaghan (12)

Claire Rausch, Social Media Editor

On Apr. 23, Nolan Monaghan (12) and Taylor Hammer (9) attended the seventh annual World Food Prize Iowa Youth Institute with 309 students from 134 high schools at Iowa State University to explore critical global food security issues and discover academic and career paths in STEM fields.

To be accepted, interested students selected a developing country and researched a key factor affecting its food security. Students then presented their ideas to a roundtable of specialists.

Monaghan wrote his paper over a program called REDD, which is a program that encourages forest growth for fighting climate change and improving food production.

Hammer’s paper was about Women’s Rights in India and how a change in their rights can have an effect on the country’s agriculture.

It encourages you to take advantage of our freedom and help others.

— Taylor Hammer (9)

Aside from learning about the world, the World Food Prize Iowa Youth Institute gives students a chance to meet new people.

“It’s given me a fantastic opportunity to connect with people that have the same mindset as me,” Monaghan said. “I even have a group chat with people I met that will be attending Iowa State with me.”

Hammer believes that students can really benefit from this event.

“It encourages you to take advantage of our freedom and help others,” Hammer said. “I encourage everyone to attend IYI if possible; it will be an experience you will never forget.”