Star-Spangled Banner at State

Front+Row%3A+Annika+Sutter+%2811%29%2C+Paris+Schaul+%2812%29%2C+Grace+Reiss+%2811%29%2C+Olivia+Neuzil+%2811%29%2C+Justin+Grawe+%2811%29%3B+Back+Row%3A+Amber+Cook+%2811%29%2C+Mariah+Seeley+%2812%29%2C+Andrea+Salow+%2812%29%2C+Tristan+Voelker+%2812%29%2C+Noah+Crumpton+%2812%29.+

Front Row: Annika Sutter (11), Paris Schaul (12), Grace Reiss (11), Olivia Neuzil (11), Justin Grawe (11); Back Row: Amber Cook (11), Mariah Seeley (12), Andrea Salow (12), Tristan Voelker (12), Noah Crumpton (12).

Claire Rausch, Social Media and Sports Editor

Twelve West Delaware students were selected out of 44 submissions from across Iowa to sing the National Anthem at State sports events throughout the year.

Of the 26 State events, these students are performing in six events: two solos, one trio, two quartets and one sextet.

Since 2003, West Delaware has consistently sent performers to football, volleyball, wrestling, basketball, soccer, track and baseball State events.

Standing in the middle of Wells Fargo Arena surrounded by 15,000 people, senior soloist Mariah Seeley sang the National Anthem for the finals of the State Wrestling Tournament. Seeley also sang for the finals as a sophomore. 

The energy that comes from the crowd is like no other feeling I have had while performing.

— Mariah Seeley (12)

Tristan Voelker (12) sang on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday during the week of the Boys State Basketball Tournament. “The first time was a little scary, but by the third time, I could just sing and enjoy it!” Voelker said.

Singing the National Anthem for the first time in front of a crowd, junior Justin Grawe sang with Voelker, Seeley, senior Andrea Salow and senior Noah Crumpton. “I wasn’t even nervous because I was practically singing with professionals,” said Grawe.

For the fifth year in a row, West Delaware is sending a women’s ensemble to sing at State Track. Junior Olivia Neuzil, a State Track performer, is proud that the West Delaware Music Department is competitive with so many other schools in Iowa. “I feel honored to be a part of this tradition,” said Neuzil.

Choral director Duane Philgreen feels that much of the students’ work throughout the year prepares them for this opportunity.

“The students have worked hard, and they have grown close to their group members, so then it’s natural to sing at the state event,” Philgreen said.