Celiac Disease: Life Without Gluten

Senior Meghan Hoefer Faces Celiac Disease

Meghan+Hoefer
Meghan Hoefer

Meghan Hoefer

Meghan Hoefer

Kira Vaske, Photography Editor

In July of 2017, senior Meghan Hoefer was diagnosed with a life changing illness: celiac disease.

Celiac disease occurs when someone is allergic to gluten and any food containing wheat, barley, or rye.

Hoefer says it’s hard knowing what certain foods contain.

“You would think some things are gluten free, but you don’t know if the restaurant adds  gluten products to (their food),” Hoefer said. “I use a gluten free scanner on my phone to check if certain foods contain gluten or not.”

Another disadvantage to celiac disease is the cost. Most gluten free foods cost more than regular products containing gluten.

“I never realized that gluten free foods cost more than the food we used to buy,” Hoefer said. “My family has switched to eating a lot of gluten free foods, so it can be expensive going to the store for groceries.”

Managing what foods Hoefer can and cannot eat can be challenging. Before going out to eat, she must determine whether or not the restaurant prepares meals that doesn’t contain gluten.

“Bread is one of the foods I miss the most because I had it every morning,” Hoefer said. “Being celiac takes more planning because I can’t just go to Kwik Star or Subway when I want to grab something to eat.”

Hoefer remains optimistic in spite of her diagnosis.

“There are others throughout the school that are going through the same thing I am,” Hoefer said. “It’s encouraging to know I’m not alone.”

About the Writer
Kira Vaske, Photography Editor
I’m Kira Vaske and I am a senior. I’m involved in softball, volleyball, track, student council, NHS, FCA, and I am a wrestling administrative assistant. When I’m not busy, you can find me watching Netflix or pumping iron. My favorite thing in the world is spending time with my nephew, Bentley.