State Bowling

Kyleigh Marsden (9), Hannah Axline (10), Kaliah Griffin (10), Andrea Salow (12), Lorna Niedert (East Buchanan), and Lacey Cole (10).

Leah Philipp, Contents Editor

Competing in Class 1A at State Bowling on Monday, Feb. 19, in Waterloo, the boys bowling team won the state championship for the second consecutive year, while the girls bowling team placed fifth.

Individually, senior Jim Shover placed second. “As I bowled I just tried to stay relaxed and knew that if I could stay calm, I would be successful,” Shover said. “When they called my name for second place, I was happy and very proud because I knew that I had put forth my best effort and achieved my goal of placing at state.”

As a team, the boys won the State Championship for the second consecutive year. “It’s not a new feeling because we won it last year, but just knowing that you’re the best team in the state can’t go untold,” Alex Schnieders (11) said.

Bowling for the boys were Jim Shover (12), Jeffrey Boeckenstedt (12), Alex Schnieders (11), John Juergens (12), Elijah Heims (9), and Ian Tibbott (11).

Salow placed fourth individually, and Niedert placed eighth. The team placed fifth overall.

“My teammates have really helped with my mental game, which is a big part of bowling,” Cole said. “It was a lot of fun, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to play with these girls.”

This year was sophomore Kaliah Griffin’s first year on the bowling team. “It was just a fun experience because it was my first year in bowling,” Griffin said.

Competing on the girls team were Kyleigh Marsden (9), Hannah Axline (10), Kaliah Griffin (10), Andrea Salow (12), Lorna Niedert (East Buchanan) and Lacey Cole (10).