Zumbach on Early Page Experiences

Alex Zumbach

Alex Zumbach

Alex Zumbach, Staff

Sometimes you need to work with people who don’t share your point of view. Different religions, morals, ethics, and political affiliation can drive a stake between friends and family. As I begin my journey working as a page this semester at the Iowa State Capitol, I need to remember everyone has a different opinion.

In this column over the next four months, I hope to share with you, the residents of Delaware County, my experiences with some of the most powerful people in the state of Iowa.

The 87th general assembly of the Iowa legislature commenced on January 9th, starting an intriguing and exciting process for the senators of Iowa to carry out their duties. This time of year is when all of the legislators conveen in the capital city of Des Moines to create, appeal, and amend laws for the betterment of Iowa.

On the first day of the new session, the other pages and I, clerks, office staff, new president and secretary of the senate, and, of course, new or re-elected Senators stood before the president of the senate and took the oath of office, promising to serve the great state of Iowa to the best of our ability.

A variety of work was done on the first day in order for the rest of the session to run efficiently. The Senators passed temporary rules, verified committee assignments, and selected a chair for themselves.   

The pages this year have a rare experience that won’t happen again. Since Governor Branstad is leaving mid-term to pursue his opportunity to become the ambassador to China, this year’s pages and other capital employees will server under two different governors. Not only are we under a new Governor, but Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds will be the first female Governor in Iowa’s history!

On the second day of session, I enjoyed the opportunity to see a joint convention between the house and the senate where Governor Terri E. Branstad gave his final condition of the state address, where he stated how the budget should look for the upcoming year.

The house and the senate both have an opinion of how the budget should look. It was interesting to visit with Senator Tim Kaputician about the importance of the condition of the state address. “It’s like a three-legged stool,” explained Senator Kaputician. “Somewhere in the middle, we have to agree, and if one (side) doesn’t, it’s like taking away one leg of the stool and it all falls over and is worthless.”

In the weeks ahead, I look forward to meeting more people and learning why they think the way they do. If you understand why people think the way they think you can build strong relationships, and a better understanding of why people think the way they do.