The student news site of West Delaware High School

What it Means to Be a Hawk

Haley Lyness (12)

Haley Lyness (12)

Haley Lyness

Recently, I attended the 2016 Senior All-Star Volleyball Game in Carroll, Iowa. I had girls from various schools on my team. After one of our practices, we all began talking about how different our schools are. That’s when I realized how neat it is to be a West Delaware Hawk.

West Delaware is the perfect combination of being sheltered, but at the same time not too sheltered.

When I talked with some of the girls that attend 5A schools, they told me how much protection they need. Their schools literally have guards in the hallways during passing time or in the cafeteria during lunch time to ensure that a problem doesn’t arise.

In 2A schools, some of the girls explained how they have never practiced a lockdown simulation. They said they don’t do this because they can’t imagine a gun or bomb related crisis happening in their small Iowa towns.

West Delaware is the perfect mix off both of these schools. I personally feel very safe at school, and to think some people do not feel safe in their own school really makes me appreciate what we have here. We have the simulations and talk about possible outcomes that can arise, not because our school is unsafe, but because if anything were to happen even later on in life, like in college or at our future jobs, we are prepared. Then we are prepared to take action in that kind of situation.

The girls from the 5A schools also talked a lot about under age drinking. One girl explained how her whole volleyball team goes out every weekend and no one gets caught. She also told a story about how the police showed up to a party she was at and how she hid in the timber for 45 minutes so she would not get caught.

I am so thankful that at West Delaware we can avoid the alcohol and the parties. I have never once felt the pressure to drink because I have always known that athletics come first.

Because of my conversations at the Senior All-Star game, I came to realize why West Delaware is so great. I am the person I am today because of the students, faculty and people in the Hawk community. They’ve all helped me make good decisions and helped create a safe environment to learn and perform at my best.

1 Comment

One Response to “What it Means to Be a Hawk”

1. Elaine Schwarzhoff on December 8th, 2016 9:20 am

Great article Haley…I’m glad you make wise decisions in your life…so many people you’re age don’t make good choices. Your parents and grandparents are very proud of you and i am too

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Opinion

Zumbach on Protesting

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Opinion

Zumbach on Final Lesson

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Opinion

Zumbach on Senate Rules

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Opinion

Zumbach on Life Lessons

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Opinion

Zumbach on Early Page Experiences

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

A&E

Dinner and Dessert Show

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

Music

Dinner and Dessert Show

• Opinion

“La La Land” Podcast

• Opinion

Holiday Survey Results

• What it Means to Be a Hawk

A&E

Stranger Things Review

What it Means to Be a Hawk