Making Memories with ‘Mamma Mia!’

Zach O'Rear

Playing Donna Sheridan, Liz Sleper (10), is being lifted in the air by cast mates.

Macy Deutmeyer, Staff

‘Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again!’

The fall musical is in high gear with Leighton Ware and Allyson Engelken making their directorial debut on opening night, Nov. 4. Students have been practicing since early September, and Ware says they deserve a lot of credit for their hard work.

“Most of the musical has been student-led,” Ware said. “Ally and I can only do so much.” Ware believes that the musical helps students gain independence and responsibility. She thinks that the students have been very dedicated.

Playing Sam Carmichael, Grant Menard (12) practices for the wedding scene.

“Honestly, about 50-75% of what has been done is completely student-run,” Ware said. 

Tim Heims and Bryan Reiken largely built the set for “Mamma Mia” along with the help from students in the crew. The set building began during the second rehearsal, and the students in the crew finished painting the set pieces on Oct. 30. CJ Taylor (11) is a part of the crew and oversees the lighting department.

“We used old set pieces and took them apart to create the new set pieces,” Taylor said. “It was a very educational experience.” In previous years the West Delaware Music Department often borrowed or bought sets. 

Madelyn Hogan (12) paints one of the tavernas during musical practice.

With around 100 students participating in the musical, every department has a student leader. Students in cast and crew usually attend three, three-hour practices per week. To prepare for the upcoming shows, students have been practicing in full hair, makeup, and costumes.

“‘Mamma Mia!’ is such an upbeat and entertaining show,” Engelken said. “I am super excited to see the show!”

Tickets are available online at https://www.hansonauditorium.com/ and can also be purchased at the door. The shows will be performed on Nov. 4, at 7:30 p.m.; Nov. 6, at 7:30 p.m., and Nov. 7, at 2 p.m., at Hanson auditorium.