Saving Lives

Students Make Plasma Donations

Karsyn Welcher

Outside BioLife’s building, informational plasma messages and stats fill the windows.

Carlee Smith, Staff

Some students are finding a way to contribute positively in the community by donating plasma and making some money as well.

Twice a week, students carpool to BioLife in Dubuque to donate. Senior Jared Voss introduced the idea to a good number of senior classmates, spreading lots of interest.

“It’s a pretty rewarding feeling knowing that you’re saving lives,” senior Ava Hauser said. “The plasma is sent to labs for testing after it’s taken from your body. From there, it goes to people who need it.”

Tina Elsinger, assistant manager at BioLife, explained that donated plasma is observed in labs. Later, medications get added to accommodate certain people and diseases. 

BioLife requires donors to be 18 years of age, over 110 pounds, and under 400 pounds.

Another benefit to donating plasma for these students is the money. Plasma can’t be produced synthetically; therefore, BioLife offers compensation to all donors for their contributions. In addition, anyone who refers someone gets an extra $200.

“There’s an increased demand for plasma at this time due to COVID reasons, which is why our promotions are so high,” Elsinger said.

BioLife offers different promotions each month. 

“April’s was $1,000 for new donors,” senior Karsyn Welcher said.

Welcher says that donating will be something she continues to do next year when she goes to college, for both the money and the prideful feeling of helping people in need.