Recognition in a New Way

The West Delaware Individual Speech Team Acknowledges All-State Nominees

Individual All-State Speech Nominees Addie Reetz, Laiken Blommers and Jadyn Werner pose with the All State Speech banner.

Carlee Smith, Staff

Seniors Laiken Blommers, Addie Reetz and Jadyn Werner received All-State Individual Speech nominations on Wed., March 24.

In a normal year, nominees would attend the All-State Festival at the University of Northern Iowa. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the festival was cancelled, but the participants will receive their medals, perform and get recognized on April 20 at the West Delaware speech awards night.

The West Delaware All-State nominees have mixed feelings about the All-State Festival being cancelled this year. 

Werner earned a nomination in prose with “The Way I Used to Be.”

“I’m extremely grateful and happy that I made All-State,” Werner said. “At the same time, I’m super sad that there isn’t an All-State Festival to celebrate everyone’s nomination and sad we didn’t get to see everyone’s pieces. It’s definitely a bittersweet feeling.” Alongside prose, Werner participated in storytelling.

Reetz earned an All-State selection with “Multiple Personality Murder” in individual acting.

“As a four year speech member, an involved music student and co-president of the thespian troupe, I’ve been blessed with opportunities to further myself in theatre,” Reetz said. Reetz also participated in individual improv.

Blommers earned his All-State nomination in improv. “I’m very proud of myself for finally making it to All-State Individual Speech because I feel like I put in a lot of effort each year,” Blommers said. “To finally make it makes it all worth it. I’m sad that it’s all over now, but I’m glad I get to end it like this, earning All-State in an activity I love.”