Graduate Ceremony for 2020 Continues

Akaya Holz, Staff

The class of 2020 ended their high school career in an unusual way, and their Commencement will be unusual as well.

Along with guidance from the Governor’s Office, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and the local law enforcement, the ceremony will celebrate the senior class while meeting social distancing guidelines. 

The Commencement Activities will take place on May 30 at 10 a.m. The procession will begin in the back parking lot of the high school and will end at the Delaware County Fairgrounds where the Commencement Program will transpire.

The graduates and their families will travel in their decorated vehicles through the procession. 

“I really wish we could have the normal type of ceremony for graduation, but I’m excited about the parade and that we get to decorate our cars for everyone to see,” senior Emily Ronnebaum said. “I’m just concerned about the weather and how everything is going to go during the ceremony.”

The commencement program will include a student speaker, class songs, reading of the students’ names and the traditional processional, and recessional music. The graduates will walk across the stage in their caps and gowns to receive their diploma. 

Senior Kamille Hawker is glad to be able to celebrate together before moving forward with future plans. 

“I’m excited to see my friends walk across the stage to receive what they have earned throughout these years,” Hawker said. “I hope that it truly feels like a celebration and gives us the closure we need as 2020 graduates.”

The event will be live-streamed for everyone to view; the link can be found on the West Delaware CCSD Website.