A Visual Impairment Can’t Stop Him

Julio Martin Ramirez Flourishes in his Everyday Life.

Molly Mullis

Fellow freshmen Landon Letts, Shae Loecke, Christianna Maestas, and Sydney Lorang help Julio Martin Ramirez during the freshman Ricochet activity.

Isabelle Willey, Contents Editor

Blindness. An impairment that can affect a young person’s life, but the actions of others can add a silver lining to their day.

Julio Martin Ramirez was born blind. “I lived in Guatemala for 11 years, before I came to the U.S five years ago,” Martin Ramirez said. “Since coming to the U.S., his skills have improved due to the extra help from an associate (Amy Hartman) and special teachers.”

“I think that the school has been really great with helping me,” Martin Ramirez said. “I love it when I get to learn about technology with Miss Carrie.”

Martin Ramirez may be blind, but he doesn’t let that stop him from learning about what he loves, such as technology, music, and government.

“I find learning about technology, like computers, very interesting, but I am also learning how to speak better English and how to read braille,” Martin Ramirez said.

Martin Ramirez appreciates the help from his fellow students. One time stands out to Martin Ramirez the most. “There was this one-time last year where there was a fire drill and someone grabbed my arm and walked me out,” Martin Ramirez said.

That person was Lauryn Bruggeman (10). “Julio and I sat by each other a lot last year so when his aide wasn’t around I would help him,” Bruggeman said. Hartman was in the restroom, so Bruggeman helped Martin Rameriz. “I just grabbed him and walked him out so he wouldn’t get lost in the mess.” 

Logan Africa (10) has also stepped up to help Martin Rameriz. “I have always just helped him in the classes we have together like PE and Spanish,” Africa said. “I have conversations with him and help get him involved with the activities we are doing.”

“It’s heartwarming to see how well the WD Students respond to Julio,” Hartman said. “Many students will volunteer when the group is asked for a partner. The students then help him participate to the best of his ability.”