Hawk Personality Profile: Cayleigh Painter

Molly Mullis

Sophomore Cayleigh Painter

Molly Mullis, Staff

Which speech events are you in now?

I’m currently in Readers Theatre and TV News. 

Which speech events have you been in during high school?

Readers Theatre and TV News. 

What is your favorite speech event that you have participated in throughout your high school career?

Readers Theatre is my favorite event because I like acting with a script in front of you and the reactions of everyone else around you.  

What was your Readers Theatre about?

It’s about a school shooting. It’s very monotonous at first, but then we help someone who got shot. When shots ring out in the cafeteria, it makes the crowd think, “Oh my gosh, there’s a shooting.” 

How has speech impacted your public speaking skills?

I’ve been able to speak better in front of people. I never used to be able to give a presentation in class. Through speech, I talk better in front of people, and I’m more outgoing. 

Have you made any new friends through speech?

I’ve made new friends and talked to people I wouldn’t normally talk to in hallways because I have to work with them in speech. 

What advice would you give to a freshman or your younger self about speech?

Join it because it helps with communication skills, getting over the fear of stage fright, and making more friends—definitely join speech.  

What speech event do you think is the most underrated? Why?

I feel like the most underrated event is group mime. I went to see one at WaMaC from a different school, and there were only two people in the room, including myself. 

In your opinion, which is better? Large group speech or individual speech?

I feel like large group speech is better than individual because there’s more people and it’s more fun. Individual can sometimes be more strict since you’re one-on-one with the coach.

Hypothetically, if West Delaware were to ever cut the speech program, what reasons would you bring to the school board to convince them to keep it?

Speech helps with communication skills and helps people to be involved if they have stage fright. It also helps them learn how to act, edit videos, and improve their body language. Overall, speech helps students gain confidence.