Senioritis Strikes

With+three+weeks+left+of+high+school%2C+some+seniors+struggle+with+senioritis.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senioritis Strikes

With three weeks left of high school, some seniors struggle with senioritis.

Paighton Lindauer

Paighton Lindauer

Paighton Lindauer

Paighton Lindauer, Staff

As my senior year winds down, I have become a victim of senioritis. 

Since the beginning of the year, I knew I was going to catch senioritis. It was just a matter of when I was going to get it. I have noticed my senioritis more during the last semester than I did in the first semester, especially with my attendance.

My attendance has taken a hit. While freshman year I rarely missed school with the exception of orthodontist appointments, first semester of my senior year I missed five and a quarter days just because. With one month left of my last semester, I have already missed four days.

One reason my attendance is slowly becoming more of a problem is my class schedule. The first semester, I had seven actual classes and one Service Experience. However, my second semester is a lot easier. I took a total of four classes, two opens, and two Service Experiences. I normally leave school before 1 p.m. every day.  

I wish I would have challenged myself more. I only took one challenging class second semester and fear college will be a rude awakening.

Another sign of senioritis is my physical appearance. If you see someone with sweatpants or leggings, a baggy sweatshirt, and no makeup, that’s probably me. The last time I dressed up was for Homecoming court and that was because I had to dress up.

I regret not taking enough time to make myself look presentable at school. When I start my big girl job, I won’t be able to look like a slob every day. I will be working with adults, and if they see me in baggy clothes, that wouldn’t leave a very good impression.

The last way senioritis has affected me is in my work ethic. I have always been a procrastinator, but never as bad as I am now. Recently, I had two assignments due on Sunday before 11:59 p.m. I worked at the Good Neighbor Home until 11, leaving me around 59 minutes to complete both assignments. I finished with three minutes to spare.

Having senioritis made my life more stressful than it needed to be. Waiting to submit assignments in the last minute scared me. I didn’t want to get a zero on something I had completed but not turned in on time. Thankfully, that never happened, but I did have some close calls.

Senioritis is a real thing and many people experience it. I hope when underclassmen reach this point they are able to detect it and make a change before it gets too out of hand.