Lockers Become History

Students Carry Book Bags to Classes

Isabelle Willey

Junior Kamille Hawker stops by her locker in the morning before first hour to switch out her school materials.

Isabelle Willey, Staff

School lockers are becoming a thing of the past.

According to a recent survey, 93 percent of West Delaware students choose to carry their backpacks to every class. Survey results also revealed that 57 percent of students never use their locker while 22 percent use it at least once a day.

Even with students being allotted ten minutes between classes, some find it difficult to stop at a locker. “It’s just easier to carry my bag to every class,” junior Kaleah Carter said. “My locker is nowhere near my classes.”

Junior Katie Crock appreciates not having to go to her locker between classes, especially on early out days with a five minute passing time.

Bag size is also an issue. “My bag doesn’t fit in my locker with or without my school materials in it,” junior Katie Crock said.

With a Chromebook, textbooks, folders, papers, and whatever else a student needs for the day shoved into a book bag, the bags become heavy and troublesome.

“I use my bag because it’s easier than carrying everything in my hands,” senior Annika Sutter said.

Sutter’s bag weighs up to 20 pounds if she has both of her textbooks along with her other school materials in her bag. “My bag does get super heavy, and it affects my back and shoulders. Every so often I go get a massage, and the lady can work on one spot for half an hour. It will still be as hard as a rock.”

Backpacks keep some students organized. “Carrying my bag is just easier for me,” freshman Grace Millenkamp said. “My bag is basically my locker because I can fit everything I need in it. I would be the person to forget my notebook for a class if I didn’t carry my bag with me.”

In some classrooms, backpacks cause problems. “Allowing bags in my room totally depends on the size and dynamics of the class and the curriculum being taught that term,” teacher Jolene Pitzenberger-Timp said. “Right now, I just can’t allow them in my third-hour class because there are 30 people in there, and we are constantly moving about. I just don’t want anyone getting hurt.”

Other teachers, such as teacher Abby Osborne, allow bags no matter the class. “I do allow bags in my room, and they can be challenging to walk around sometimes,” Osborne said. “I believe students should use their lockers more because there would be less to carry around.”

Backpacks take up a lot of room. “When students bring their bags to my class, it tends to become tight and students trip on bag straps,” teacher Kathy Naughton said. “Sometimes they don’t have room to work because their bags fill up their tables, too.”

“I believe that students bringing their bags to class is super positive because they spend less time asking for passes to their lockers to retrieve forgotten items,” teacher Laura Gelwicks said. “If I were a student, I would love to bring my backpack to class.”