Parking Problems

Emily Klostermann

Back Parking Lot

Emily Klostermann, Contents Editor

Nineteen.

That is the number of student cars parked illegally in the back parking lot on Feb. 28.

“We need to have a designated spot for teachers to park,” Principal Tim Felderman said. “We have more and more staff members going back and forth between north and south campus, and they can’t find a parking spot when they return.”

Senior Maddy Gray calculated that there are 244 parking spots for students around the school and 53 parking spots for teachers to park in the back lot.

Several factors contribute to the parking problem, including limited parking spots and the desire for convenience.

Junior Kaelen MacDonald is guilty of parking in the lot just outside the auto’s shop.

“I have two autos classes,” MacDonald said. “I start school and end school there, so it is easier for me to get in and out.”

Other students find it convenient to park in the back lot for morning lifting and practices.

“When I weight lift in the morning, I park in the lot,” sophomore Kieran Monaghan said. “It’s closer to the door, and I don’t want to move my car after lifting.”

Senior Derek Krogmann has first hour open. He said that trying to find a spot after first hour is nearly impossible.

“I normally have to park by the old football concession stand and walk all the way to the main office,” Krogmann said.

Students in DelCo Best are trying to find a solution to the parking problem.

“We suggested turning the grass area next to the football field into a parking lot,” DelCo Best student Connor Maurer (12) said, “but Felderman said that it was too expensive.”

Felderman explained that he is open to all possible ideas.

“I’ve had numerous suggestions from parents and students, and all ideas will be taken under advisement,” Felderman said. “It is a complex issue, and there are many roadblocks. It’s really tricky.”

According to the discipline matrix in the student handbook, students will first receive a warning for parking in the back lot followed by a detention for a second offense, a $5 fee for a third offense, and a conference with parents for a fourth offense. After a student’s fifth offense, their vehicle will be towed at the student’s expense.