Sacrifice Pays off

Derek Krogmann Breaks Multiple School Records

Sabrina Welcher, Staff

Sacrifice.

West Delaware’s leading scorer, Derek Krogmann knows all about sacrifice.

Playing on four different AAU travel teams over the span of eight years, Krogmann sacrificed many hours to become the player he is today.

Throughout his time with four different AAU teams, he traveled to 20 states, including Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina.

Senior Derek Krogmann goes up for a lay-up against Center Point Urbana in the second-round district basketball game. The Hawks won, 45-44.

“I missed a lot of weekends hanging with my friends,” Krogmann said. “But, I knew doing the travel basketball would make me a better player. So all the weekends spent away were worth it.”

As the boys’ basketball team heads to the state basketball tournament at the Wells Fargo Arena Tuesday, March 5, Krogmann takes with him many accomplishments.

Krogmann is the school’s all-time leading scorer with 1,669 points, a record previously held by BJ Hermsen with 1,429 points.

During games, Krogmann is often double or even triple guarded. “It makes it more challenging for me to score,” Krogmann said. “When I’m guarded like that, it gives me the opportunity to pass the ball around, giving my teammates more chances to score.”

A four-year varsity starter, Krogmann also leads the school in career rebounds with 1,120. Hermsen held this record previously with 735 career rebounds.  

When I’m guarded like that, it gives me the opportunity to pass the ball around, giving my teammates more chances to score.

— Derek Krogmann

Krogmann has tallied a record 25 rebounds in a single game and 413 career free throws.

“Derek gets a lot of credit for being a great player,” teammate senior Logan Winn said. “He is so humble about all the recognition he gets.”

His teammates look up to him. Freshman Blake DeMoss said, “Derek is one of the hardest workers on the team. He has a great work ethic.”

Krogmann plans to attend the University of Northern Iowa to continue his basketball and academic careers. “I’ll be redshirting my freshman year,” Krogmann said, “but I’m very excited to practice and learn new things with a new team.”