Students Help Community Businesses in Photoshop Class

Back to Article
Back to Article

Talking about a design, junior Isabelle Willey and Garbarino's, Marissa Garbarino, owner talked about a final product.

Tyler Salow

Tyler Salow

Tyler Salow

Hannah Albrecht, Staff

Designing logos, business cards, posters, and more, Photoshop students are using their career-ready skills to help promote businesses.

Using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop software, students designed logos and symbols for area businesses. Students made their own designs and then business owners chose one from the entire class.

I was elated to have community members reach out to the high school art department this fall for help in designing graphic art projects for their businesses,” art teacher Jolene Pitzenberger-Timp said. “The students learned so much about working with others and using their art skills in a professional format.”

She also said that the students had to learn about rejection in the art world as not everything is pleasurable to others.

“It was a lot of fun to work with Marissa Garbarino on her stamp for her bags, it was challenging at times to get things centered and even, but it turned out super cool! I’m excited to see her stamp being used.”

— Isabelle Willey

The students have helped design business cards, stamps and posters for four local businesses, including Cutting Edge Alterations, Garbarino’s Bakery, Seller’s Q Repair, and Superpop Popcorn. The students are also working with five different teachers for school and sports-related designs.

The students learned how to use the programs, think about what businesses want, and make the designs look professional.

Miah Winkowitsch says she enjoys helping the businesses. “I feel like I’m getting more out of my learning by potentially having my designs out in the community,” Winkowitsch (11) said.

About the Photographer
Tyler Salow, Web Master

I am Tyler Salow and I am a Senior. I'm also the Webmaster of the Inklings, and no, that does not mean I am a spider. I am also involved in anything that...