Students Attend IHSPA Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Attend IHSPA Conference

Graduate Andrea Salow was awarded Honorable Mention for theme of the 2017-2018 yearbook.

Andrea Salow

Andrea Salow

Andrea Salow

Eve Wedewer, Staff

Nine journalism students traveled to The University of Iowa to attend the Iowa High School Press Association (IHSPA) Fall Conference on Oct. 25.

Students who went to this conference attended a seminar presented by the keynote speaker, American Investigative Journalist Brian Ross.

Ross graduated from the University of Iowa and began his career in Waterloo at KWWL. Currently, at ABC, Ross is the Chief Investigative Correspondent.

At the conference, Chloe Wilson (11) participated in a writing contest, in which she wrote about Ross. “I was the only one from West Delaware doing the writing contest,” Wilson said. “It was a cool experience that helped me grow as a writer.”

Throughout the day, students attended multiple sessions to improve their journalism skills. There were many sessions students could choose from: podcasts, sports broadcasting, InDesign, photographing, government writing, videography, and social media.

Tyler Salow (12) also attended this conference and learned a lot of new ideas. “We’re looking into utilizing what our website can do and making it better for the future,” Salow said.

To wrap up the day, the IHSPA awards were given based on the previous year’s yearbook. West Delaware’s 2017-2018 yearbook team earned two first-place awards, three second-place awards, one third-place award, and five honorable mention awards.

Salow and graduate Andrea Salow won first place in the Total Package category. This category looks at all elements of a yearbook spread: copy, captions, design, and photography.

“When I found out I won, all I could do is scream and get excited,” Salow said.

About the Contributors
Eve Wedewer, Staff

I am Eve Wedewer, I am a sophomore. I’m involved with softball, and track. My two favorite things to do is being on Lake Delhi and going on car rides...

Andrea Salow, Contents Editor

I am Andrea Salow, and I am a senior. I am involved in bowling, show choir, choir, FBLA, speech, NHS, musical, play, and WDCVC. My addictions include pasta...

Sabrina Welcher, Staff

I am Sabrina Welcher, and I am a junior. I am involved in volleyball and track. I’m terrified of clowns, but I love watching scary movies.