Aquaculture Students Purchase and Raise Fish

Class Turned Cute

Teyha Demmer

While on the class trip to the Fish Shack junior Sabrina Welcher admires the different types of fish.

Kennedi Rogers, Staff

With twelve tanks lining her room, ag teacher Tammy Schnieders prepares her Aquaculture students for the responsibility of raising and caring for their very own fish.

Tehya Demmer
Juniors Macy and Myla Loecke pick out fish for their Aquaculture tank.

Leah Philipp (12), a former Aquaculture student, said students spend a lot of time cleaning and preparing their tanks. If goldfish survive ten days in their tank, the students are allowed to purchase a fish, frog, or turtle on their field trip to the Fish Shack.

Juniors Myla Loecke and Macy Loecke enjoy taking Aquaculture, taught by Schnieders. In total the Loecke sisters have two little albino frogs and one big black fish for their tank.

My favorite fish wasn’t a fish, but rather my little froggies, named Billy and Myrtle, and watching them swim was the cutest darn thing because they would push their adorable little frog legs out, and it was so cute!

— Myla Loecke

Teacher Tammy Schnieders says the purpose of the students having their tank is to manage an aquatic environment and maintain the proper conditions of oxygen, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, turbidity and other tests students choose to incorporate.

Myla feels she is the best fish care-taker in the whole wide world. “It’s a great learning experience for when I want kids of my own someday, but they probably won’t be as cute as these little frogs!”