ABC Trailer Opens Students’ Eyes to the World of Trades

Students tour the ABC trailer on April 26.

Lauren Ryan, Staff

Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., a U.S. trade association, visited West Delaware High School on Apr. 26.

Throughout the day, over 200 students from Edgewood-Colesburg, Maquoketa Valley and West Delaware visited ABC’s Career Exploration trailer and explored four different programs: Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, and Sheet Metal.

Students experienced different virtual reality simulators, which showed different work environments.

“My favorite part about the trailer was how it put you into the feet of yourself in 10 years.”

— Kody Wenger

For junior Kody Wenger, the ABC trailer greatly opened his eyes to the world of trades and made him consider working in plumbing or becoming an electrician because big opportunities are coming up for young people.

Wenger enjoyed seeing the work environments and what a typical day might be.

“The ABC trailer was a really neat experience, and everyone should step in and try it sometime,” Wenger said. 

Most of these careers will allow young adults to work with businesses as an apprentice.

“Lots of guys are retiring out of these fields, and the need for people to fill their spots is huge,” Wenger said.

Teacher Seth Harms hopes to get the trailer back next year. “It is such a great chance for students to experience something that they may not know a lot about,” Harms said.