Off-Season Investments

West Delaware Wrestlers Travel to Des Moines for National Duals

Reagan Dolan, Staff

The West Delaware Wrestling program strongly believes that it pays to work hard in the off-season. On Mar. 30 and 31, 11 freshman and sophomore wrestlers competed on the Iowa National Dual teams.

The National Dual Tournament took place in Des Moines at the Iowa Events Center. Wrestlers from all over the state were asked in advance to make up four teams to represent Iowa at this event. Each wrestler was individually contacted to participate after being chosen by the AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) National board.

In the tournament, 18 teams participated from eight different states. The West Delaware wrestlers competed against teams from six different states in addition to other Iowa teams.

West Delaware Head Wrestling Coach Jeff Voss said, “I think anytime our guys participate in any extra wrestling, they build their skill set. With them knowing each other, they also built team unity.”

I think anytime our guys participate in any extra wrestling they build their skill set. With them knowing each other, they also built team unity.

— WD Wrestling Coach Jeff Voss

Of the 11 wrestlers, nine of them were on the same team. “I was really comfortable knowing so many of us were able to wrestle together,” sophomore Evan Woods said. “The atmosphere was really cool to experience with so many of my teammates.”

For many of the wrestlers, this was their first national tournament in high school. Jared Voss (9) said he enjoyed watching the out-of-state wrestlers. “It was interesting to see the way other wrestlers were coached,” Voss said. “Witnessing different styles can teach you a lot about how you want to wrestle against a certain team or opponent.”

This tournament impacted each wrestler in a memorable way. Mason Gillihan (10) said the team bonding all weekend was his favorite part. “We stayed in touch with the other guys on our team and got really close to them,” Gillihan said.

Tyger Vaske (9), another wrestler, said he enjoyed meeting new people. “Being able to wrestle as a team with guys from all over Iowa is something that doesn’t happen very often,” Vaske said. “It was really cool so many of us were invited to be a part of the teams.”

Many of the West Delaware wrestlers agreed that the tournament had some of the best wrestlers in the nation, along with some of the best opportunities to improve. “I think they are putting the time in that is going to pay off down the road,” Coach Voss said. “They may not have been able to see it because the competition was so tough, but down the road, their investments will pay off.”