In It to Win It

Trying+to+make+the+basketball+in+the+hoop%2C+freshman+Gavin+Tucker+launches+the+ball+from+the+student+section.+

Trying to make the basketball in the hoop, freshman Gavin Tucker launches the ball from the student section.

Paighton Lindauer, Staff

The halftime buzzer sounds throughout the gym. As the players run out, a stampede of students and kids race to the half court line holding dollar bills.

This was the case at multiple home boys basketball games during the 2016-2017 season. Hoping to make this a fundraiser for National Honor Society, Bev Hermsen, NHS adviser, asked Athletic Director Matt Weis if she could use it for NHS. Weis told her she couldn’t due to an Iowa law.

Practicing his granny shot, junior Matt Wichman sends the ball through the air, hoping to make the shot.

The state of Iowa requires a gambling license if someone is paying for a chance to win a prize. Since a dollar would be paid to shoot the ball, if it went in, the participant would then receive a certificate to a local restaurant. Since West Delaware doesn’t have a gambling license, it is illegal for the school to hold the half court shot.

“It would have been nice to have this as a fundraiser because it was also good entertainment during the game,” Hermsen said.

During the 2016-2017 season, the half court shot was used as a fundraiser for the 2017 Dance Marathon, raising around 300 dollars. The group will no longer be able to use this as a fundraiser.

“I think it will affect how much money we make, but I think we’ll find other fundraisers that will supplement that,” student council adviser Abby Osborne said.

Many students and kids have participated in this fundraiser.

“Not being able to do the half court shot makes me sad because I had fun doing it,” senior Colton Reid said.