Moo-ving Forward

Ag Science Department Begins Building New Cattle Barn

Superintendent+Dr.+Kristen+Ricky+and+Principal+Tim+Felderman+look+on+as+FFA+advisor+Tammy+Schneiders+and+her+students+begin+construction+for+their+future+barn+on+Sept.+29.+From+left+to+right%3A+Ricky%2C+Nathan+Bishop+%2811%29%2C+Jacob+Kaiser+%2811%29%2C+Josh+Hilby+%2812%29%2C+Kyle+Steffen+%2811%29%2C+Schneiders+and+Felderman.+

Emily Klostermann

Superintendent Dr. Kristen Ricky and Principal Tim Felderman look on as FFA advisor Tammy Schneiders and her students begin construction for their future barn on Sept. 29. From left to right: Ricky, Nathan Bishop (11), Jacob Kaiser (11), Josh Hilby (12), Kyle Steffen (11), Schneiders and Felderman.

Hannah Wenger, Staff

The construction of a brand new barn for the Ag Science department began on Sept. 29. The barn, which is budgeted at around $50,000, will provide more opportunities for students to interact with large animals.

The barn will be located near the new bus barn beside the fairgrounds and will consist of two large pens optimal for holding cattle.

I’m excited to give younger students the opportunity to use this facility” Jacob Kaiser, a member of the FFA building committee, said. “They’ll get to experience more hands-on contact with large animals than we did.”

Josh Hilby, building committee member, predicts the Ag Science department will grow with the barn. “Hopefully, we can add more new classes to the Ag Science wing,” Hilby said. “That way, we can really utilize the barn fully.”

Construction for the project began in late November. Kaiser and Hilby plan for the project to be completed around the springtime.