The student news site of West Delaware High School

Posting with a Passion

Art Students Show Off Their Talents by Painting Wooden Posts.

The posts were installed outside by the front parking lot. Some of the students who participated in this project stand by their posts: Tesia Manson (12), Joey Hughey (12), Jolene Pitzenberger-Timp, Myla Loecke (11), Ben Boeckenstedt, Devon Gardner (12), Dani Mundorf (12), Sydney McGraw (12), Keeshia Steffen (12).

Elijah Hill, Staff

Students from Painting I and Foundations of Art painted posts first term, which have been displayed in front of the high school. To participating students, however, they’re not just posts–they’re much more.

Principal Tim Felderman purchased nine six-foot wooden posts for the art department. Cutting some posts into random sizes, they ended up with 14 posts. Guided by teacher Jolene Pitzenberger-Timp, students sanded the posts to prepare for a coat of latex based exterior primer, which helped the paint stick better and last longer.

This project is an attempt to allow students to show their individuality and creativity around school. According to Pitzenberger-Timp, she wanted to allow students  “to have an ownership in their school and take pride in being a Hawk.”

Pitzenberger-Timp said Felderman encouraged her students to make them unique and let the students do what they wanted to do.

Students utilized class time, Hawk Time and some lunch time in order to finish the posts. Pitzenberger-Timp was happy with how they turned out.

The posts featured childhood cartoons like Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, and Ed Edd and Eddy. Some students painted West Delaware themes reading ‘West Delaware Hawks’ and ‘Class of 2018.’ One student included different colored goldfish!

“I just love that each one is totally different yet they fit together as a unique visual expression of creativity and individuality,” Pitzenberger-Timp said.  

Senior Paris Schaul enjoyed helping to paint the posts. “It’s so cool that our school is giving us the chance to express our individuality, not only through these posts but also through other things, such as murals around the school,” Schaul said. “It feels so good to let our differences show freely and be accepted for being different through our art.”