Recent Posts
  • Shredding Through SummerShredding Through Summer
    Freshman Memphis Voelker is one of the best competitive wakeboard riders in the state. At only twelve years old, Voelker set himself up for success when he decided to venture into the sport of wakeboarding on Lake Delhi. Three years later he is now one of the few competitive riders in the state who can...
Check out Our Instagram!
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Behind the Scenes of the Game

Audrey Jolley
Kate Loecke (12) and Stephanie La Rosa (12) pose for a picture during a timeout. Both Loecke and La Rosa have been the stat takers for the boys basketball home games for the past four years.

Stephanie La Rosa and Katherine Loecke have taken the stats for every home boys basketball game since their freshman year. 

Being part of the team required La Rosa to write down the stats of the players as Loecke ran the scoreboard. Both girls spent many hours watching the team play and working for the school as their job was a paid position.

Both La Rosa and Loecke learned to love what they did for the team and what they watched.

Loecke felt the games in the upper gym were especially challenging.

“The scoreboard is not very good,” Loecke said. “We had to count for the time-outs because the timer was broken.”

“I remember having to (verbally) count down the last 10 seconds of a game so they knew it was ending,” La Rosa said.

Being in a stressful position was part of the job, especially during overtime. 

“When the game goes to overtime, the clock has to start and stop a lot,” Loecke said. 

Being in charge of running the scoreboard, which included the timer, made Loecke’s job extremely important during those last few minutes of the game.

“Many timeouts are taken during that time,” La Rosa said. “The crowd gets very into it. It can be very intense.”

La Rosa and Loecke are the second people in their family to do the stats. Their older brothers, Chris La Rosa and Sam Loecke, who both graduated in 2020, also ran the stats for the basketball team during their four years of high school.

“It’s a legacy thing,” Loecke said.

As the basketball season comes to an end, so does their stat-taking career.

“I am kind of sad that it’s done, but it is okay,” Loecke said. “The refs said we were good at it. I think they will miss us next year.”