Recent Posts
  • What is “Best of SNO?”What is “Best of SNO?”
    Journalists crave recognition. At least, that’s what “Best of SNO” tells us. Our host site, “School Newspapers Online,” allows us to submit our articles to them for review, and if they deem the story “engaging, relevant, concise and free of spelling errors,” they will post it to their personal site, “Best of SNO.” The articles...
Check out Our Instagram!
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

The Bedrock to Success

West Delaware Football keeps the focus on themselves en route to a 7-4 season
Keevan Hauschild
The football team poses with their playoff banner. Their season ended against Solon for the third consecutive year.

Rankings, size, talent, critics—these mean nothing when teams come to play Coach Doug Winkowitsch. 

“We keep the focus on us week to week,” Winkowitsch said. “We get better fundamentally, and our guys do a great job of executing come game time.”

In doing so, the Hawks finished the season winning seven of their last nine games, capturing the district championship, and earning a trip to the state quarterfinals for the third time in the last four years. 

At Solon, junior Brent Yonkovic walks off the field for the final time this season with Athletic Trainer Jason Nolz and Coach Winkowitsch. Yonkovic capped off a stellar junior campaign by being crowned the District Offensive Player of the Year. (Keevan Hauschild)

Despite losing the first two games, Winkowitsch saw growth in individuals and the team as the season progressed.

“As a team, we grew in terms of toughness, competitiveness, and confidence,” Winkowitsch said. “Our guys were always pushing each other to be the best they could be both on and off the field.”

Brent Yonkovic took major strides from last season.

“Brent was always competitive and determined,” Winkowitsch said. “His growth as a quarterback was a large part of our success.”

Yonkovic capped off his second season as the starting quarterback by being crowned the district’s Offensive Player of the Year. He contributed 3,004 yards of offense and 37 total touchdowns while throwing five interceptions.

Senior Conrad Smith also made huge improvements.

“I grew as a leader from last season,” Smith said. “We had some big spots to fill from last year’s captains, and I feel like I stepped into that role pretty well.”

Winkowitsch credits the non-starters the most for everyone’s growth.

The most important aspect in getting better is having scout team players willing to give their best every day so the starters can perform at a high level on Friday nights,” Winkowitsch said. “Therefore, they are the guys that truly made our growth so significant.”

Pullquote Photo

Expect Victory means being the best you can be at everything you do in life.

— Doug Winkowitsch

Senior Haze Seibert sat out the first few games, but he still took reps on the scout team to not only prepare himself but also make his teammates better.

“I continued to work and attack practice the same way,” Seibert said. “Sitting out was extremely hard for me, but the only thing I could do was to keep showing the coaches what I’m able to do on the field.”

Watching film of himself allowed Seibert to work on aspects he needed to improve on in order to work his way back into a starting position.

“I’m a humble guy, and I’m proud of myself for sticking it out when I wasn’t playing much,” Seibert said. “I could have quit and moved on, but I love the game too much.” 

Seibert and Smith are a few examples of kids who bought into Winkowitsch’s “Expect Victory” motto. 

After the quarterfinal game, senior Haze Seibert reflects on his football career. “It’s sad knowing I won’t play football again,” Seibert said. “I was not ready for this season to end.” (Keevan Hauschild)

“Expect Victory means being the best you can be at everything you do in life,” Winkowitsch said. “We want our guys to be present wherever they are and in whatever they are doing.” 

Despite proving media outlet doubters wrong all season, the Hawks’ season ended with a record of 7-4 when they suffered a 36-35 loss in the Class 3A Quarterfinals against Solon. This game came on the heels of a dominant 58-45 win in the first round over Davenport Assumption the week before.

“Obviously this isn’t the result we all wanted, but it is nothing to hang our heads over,” Winkowitsch said. “We battled all game and our entire coaching staff is proud of this group for everything they accomplished this season.”