Making History

Girls wrestling competes for the first time in school history.

Front Row: Manager Macy Falck; Row 2: Kylee Shoop, Kloee Chrystal, Manager Alivia White, Addison Burger, Emily Gudenkauf, Addesyn Welcher, Livvy Petlon; Back Row: Assistant Coach Jason Guyer, Ella Goedken, Kendra Lux, Samantha Murray, Hannah Cantwell, Abigail O’Rear, Anna O’Rear, Alexis Bunting, Head Coach Dale Meyer.

Addison Burger, Staff

For the first time in West Delaware school history, 13 girls competed in their first sanctioned girls wrestling meets. 

The girls traveled to South Tama High School on Thursday, Nov. 17, followed by another scramble tournament on Saturday, Nov. 19, at Independence High School.

At the South Tama round-robin, the team went 20 and 10 (20 wins, 10 losses). Out of 20 wins, 18 were pins, one was a technical fall, and one was a decision. 

Head Coach Dale Meyer said he is extremely proud of how the girls performed.

I’m pleased with their effort for sure, but mostly proud of the way they have supported each other after every win and loss,” Meyer said.

At the Independence scramble tournament, the team went 16 and 19 (16 wins, 19 losses). The girls ended with all pins for all of their wins.

Meyer noticed the girls were using skills they were learning in practice. They were learning moves they can and can’t do in a match. 

“We call that mat sense, and it only comes with experience through trial and error,” Meyer said.

Meyer sees the girls improving every day in practices by pushing the pace in drills to improve their conditioning.

“Much like boys, when they’re tired, emotion gets the better of them and good position and technique aren’t as good.”

Junior Abigail O’Rear described the meet atmosphere as nothing like she’s felt before. 

“Everyone was excited to be there,” O’Rear said. “The atmosphere was encouraging and it was a positive environment.”

The next scramble is on Monday, Nov. 28, at Elkader High School.