The Keymaster

Sophomore Saul Barron accompanies the choir at the West Delaware High School Fall Concert.

Saul+Barron+plays+Carry+on+My+Wayward+Son+by+Kansas+with+West+Delawares+Bass+Clef+choir.+

Helen Temeyer

Saul Barron plays “Carry on My Wayward Son” by Kansas with West Delaware’s Bass Clef choir.

Zach O'Rear, Staff

Saul Barron (10) had never publicly shown one of his true talents to the West Delaware family—until Tuesday, October 18.

Barron showed off his talents by performing “Carry on My Wayward Son” on the piano, along with guitarist Sawyer Krogmann, Bass Clef director Derrick White, and the West Delaware Bass Clef choir.

Barron is entirely self-taught. When he was in sixth grade, he saw people playing in church, became interested and took action. 

“I’ve been playing for the last five years,” Barron said. “Whenever I hear a song that I like, I go look up tutorials on YouTube. I can read a little sheet music, like individual notes, but I can’t see a sheet of music and play any song.”

Barron hops on the piano about once a week when he gets bored.

“When I am learning a song, I’ll play around four times a week,” Barron said.

Barron has progressed in the time it takes him to create performance-level songs. 

“Some songs take longer to learn than others,” Barron said. “‘Carry on My Wayward Son’ took about two weeks, but most of the other songs I learn take about two days.”

White gave the boys the option to play at the concert. 

“I was just thinking of a strong way to start the concert,” White said. “Then asked if any of the guys played instruments. Since I had some, I used their talents.”

When Barron was given the option to play for the concert, he jumped on it. 

“We had the idea of giving the first song a band feel,” Barron said. “I saw the opportunity to play so I took it.”