The student news site of West Delaware High School

The Season of Giving

Members of NHS who adopted a family stand with the presents they bought. Pictured left to right is Holden Smith (11), Kara Hawker (12), Katie Steffan (12), Rachel Haight (11), Bryonna Rodgers (11), Kelly Scherbring (11), Macy Klein (12), Kenna Coates (12), Emma Kehrli (12), Emily LaRosa (11), Ben Litterer (11), and Annie Cassutt (12).

Holden Smith, Staff

How do you give back during the holidays? Maybe you donate to your favorite charity, drop a penny in a Santa’s bucket at the mall, or go caroling at a retirement home. The students and staff at West Delaware share in the Christmas spirit and try and help others during the holiday season.

Stephanie Stocks, teacher librarian, is a big proponent of Operation Christmas Child, a type of missionary work she does through her church. Members of Manchester United Methodist Church pack shoe boxes full of toys and presents for children whose parents may not have enough money to buy the presents themselves.

I volunteer for Operation Christmas Child because of the importance of helping people during the holidays,” Stocks said. “Plus each shoebox gift means one more child is hearing the good news of Jesus Christ.

The National Honor Society, NHS, does similar charitable work in which they “adopt” a family through the Lutheran Family Services. Each member of the family gives a Christmas list and the members of NHS buy as many items on the list as they can.

“Eight of us went to Wal-Mart on Wednesday, and we had an hour and a $100 budget to try and get as much as we could from all of these kids’ lists,” Emily LaRosa (11) said. “It was actually kind of fun. Like it was a game to see how much we could get so we kept it fun while knowing that we’re helping someone. What could be better?”

Claire Rausch (10) and her mother donated quilts to the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. They went out early December and bought seven huge pieces of fabric that they then brought to Rausch’s 4-H group. The kids cut the fabric and tied two pieces together to make blankets that the Rausch’s will take to Iowa City over Christmas break.

“We have some money left over so I think we’re going to pick up some extra stuff like coloring books or candy,” Rausch said. “You just want to make the kids happy during Christmas.”