Duane Philgreen Receives Distinguished Service Award

IHSMA Executive Director Alan Greiner presents choral director Duane Philgreen with the Distinguished Service Award.

Jackie Hawkins-Keck

Jackie Hawkins-Keck

Andrea Salow, Contents Editor

Between courses at the May 12 Dinner Show, Master of Ceremonies Justin Roberts brought up a special guest: Alan Greiner, the executive director of the Iowa High School Music Association (IHSMA).

Greiner presented choral director Duane Philgreen with the Distinguished Service Award for his ten years of service on the IHSMA Executive Board. The board members can serve for a maximum of 2 five-year terms.

“Serving on the board has opened my eyes to what is happening in music education not only in Iowa but across the country,” Philgreen said. “It has been very fulfilling to think that I might have had a small part in shaping what is going on with high school music in the state of Iowa.”

Philgreen is currently serving his second term as President of IHSMA.

“It is daunting to think that West Delaware is recognized as one of the fine high school music programs in Iowa, which is known as one of the leading high school music states in America,” Philgreen said. “I am very proud of our students for all they work for and their achievements in both music and life lessons.”

About the Writer
Andrea Salow, Contents Editor
I am Andrea Salow, and I am a senior. I am involved in bowling, show choir, choir, FBLA, speech, NHS, musical, play, and WDCVC. My addictions include pasta and bread. I’m so busy with school and activities, I only go home to sleep, bathe, and eat.