Students Fail to Check Their Email

Claire Demmer

Teachers encourage students to check their email daily.

Claire Demmer, Staff

Although many students fail to check their email on a daily basis, emailing is a vital part of communication in today’s society.

Students who fail to check their email miss important items such as deadlines, scholarships, and meetings.

Oftentimes, students don’t realize what they miss until the deadline is over.

“I don’t check my email because it’s so overwhelming, and it stresses me out,” senior Megan McDonald said. “I’ve missed a ton of deadlines with college stuff because of it.”

The counselors send students important emails about free ACT prep sessions, scholarships to earn free money for college, and information about NICC classes.

“I don’t think the majority of the student body checks their email,” guidance secretary Karen Goebel said. “It’s a good readiness skill to have by the time you are a senior.”

Secretary Erin Gudenkauf sends out the daily announcements covering schedule changes and homeroom details.

Teachers such as Jordan Pollock share information with students through Google Classroom about due dates and test dates.

“I view it as an accountability measure, and you’re always going to need it in the future so why not start?” Pollock said.

The students who check their email rarely miss anything and are more aware of what’s going in the school day.

Senior Daniel Woods makes checking his email a priority to see what teachers share and to check due dates.

“By looking at my email, I have a better footing on school and never miss anything,” Woods said.