Exploring The Markket, senior Taylor Cherry takes her time checking out one of the full model kitchens. (Kyli Haas)
Exploring The Markket, senior Taylor Cherry takes her time checking out one of the full model kitchens.

Kyli Haas

Visiting Kendrick Facilities and the Legislative Roundtable

January 12, 2018

On Friday Nov. 17, I went on a trip to Edgewood for my Government class to have real life experiences by visiting Kendrick work environments and attending a Legislative Roundtable discussion to learn more about the world outside of high school.

–  Kyli Hass

Kendrick Tour

Sawdust covered my shoes while wood and clear coat filled my nose. I was touring the Kendrick facilities on Nov. 17 in Edgewood, where I later attended the Delaware County Economic Development’s Fifth Annual Legislative Roundtable.

Teacher Jordan Pollock accompanied students Taylor Cherry (12), Tesia Manson (12), Keeshia Steffen (12), Hannah Wenger (11), Dunston Werner (12), and me.

Our first stop of the day was Kendrick Forest Products. We wore headphones to hear our guide speak as we toured the sawmill and saw how timber went through the process of being turned into wood slabs.

Next, we toured Forever Cabinets by Kendrick and The Markket. We learned how the workers created doors for cabinets and explored the Markket, which is connected to the shop. Between them we checked out the little Shimlee shop, where they print art and photographs onto wood.

The Markket is a beautiful store filled with home decor, including full model kitchens. The upper level even provides a bird’s eye view of the store below.

I enjoyed touring the Kendrick facilities and learning about the many jobs Kendricks provides.