Launching Into Senior Year

Seniors Annie Cassutt, Ben Manternach, Logan Marsden, Katie Steffen, and Michael White listen to community member Lori Kartman as she explains the instructions to an activity.

Kara Hawker

On August 29, the senior class participated in the Senior Launch. Students were split into 18 small groups each lead by a community member to discuss topics about self-awareness.

When students weren’t discussing life skills or participating in a team-bonding activity, they listened to Laila Down, the motivational speaker. Down addressed the importance of being positive, present, and proud in three separate speeches and told life stories that related to each topic.

Tammy Schnieders took charge of the Senior Launch. “I organized the event to set a positive, directional tone for the students’ senior year,” Schnieders said.

Senior Alex Bishop enjoyed the interaction with the community members. “Senior Launch was great because we had a chance to talk to community leaders about our future,” Bishop said. “Being able to discuss with them what life as an adult is like gave us a better idea of what to expect after high school and college.”

The following volunteers participated in the Senior Launch: Michael Cantonwine, Tricia Collier, Darla Gaskill, Lisa Guetzko, Lori Haight, Lori Kartman, Alison Kass, Jody King, Tim Loecke, Sarah Maurer, Deann McDonald, Mitch Peyton, Kerrie Recker, Darla Weber, David Weber, Hannah Weber, Tirzah Wedewer, Holly Zieser.