TADA Teaches About Teen Drug Abuse

Emily Klostermann

TADA group member, Taylor Cherry (11), hands Paighton Lindauer (10) a piece of gum for signing a pledge to not use drugs.

Emily Klostermann, Staff

TADA (Teens Against Drug Abuse) is a newly formed group at West Delaware High School. The group, formerly known as TATU (Teens Against Tobacco Use), changed the name to broaden its focus to include drug abuse.

In Jan. during Drug Facts Week, the group of ten displayed posters in the hallway that contained facts about drug abuse.

The group also traveled to Des Moines on Feb. 23 for Prevention on the Hill. The students called out the State Legislators about the issue of teen drug abuse.

“I loved going into the senate chamber,” Zoey Ponsar (9) said. “The legislature was very interested in what we had to say.”

During parent teacher conferences, the group hosted In Plain Sight. This interactive demonstration, provided by 5C Coalition in Clayton County, allowed parents to search for signs of drug abuse within a mock bedroom. Law enforcement officers, prevention specialist, and TADA group members Victoria Harris (9) and Courtney Davis (9) answered questions and informed parents about drug abuse.

Emily Klostermann
The mock bedroom was set up at parent teacher conferences for parents to tour and look for signs of drug abuse.

“The walk-through room at conferences helped parents see how everyday objects could be warning signs of drug usage by their children,” teacher Laura Gelwicks said. “This was a great resource, and displaying it at conferences made it easily accessible to parents.”

The group also celebrated Through the Chew Week by handing out gum with a fact card attached to it for students who pledge to not use drugs.  

“We are off to a good start,” Kathy Naughton, group supervisor, said. “We are always looking for new members to join.”